Saturday, October 3, 2009

Art Rant


      
                                                    What makes me MAD.

When it comes to Art I can truly say there is much, in which I take pleasure.  Be it the skill of the hand or the intelligence of colour and atmosphere applied to the work I can stand back and appreciate true Art.  What I absolutely HATE is the tendency of some artists to give an in depth appreciation of their Artistic style and influence and actually exhaust the limits of ones credulity with a language normally accredited to University Lecturers.  I was reminded of this while reading an Art Magazine recently.  This poor boy was responding to the question, "What are you currently working on and what gave rise to this work?"

His answer was thus: "My practice is a continual process that constantly evolves and transforms.  I see the work as all being part of a greater ' whole'. ( I'm getting lost already).  Recently, my interest in texture and form has enabled my work to develop into three dimensions. Current works are exploring questions thrown up by this transformation in relation to the concerns that are at the core of my work. ( Yawwwn ) These new questions relate to form, space and the relationship with the audience.

If this young man were to be honest and having seen a sample of his' work ' in the mag. he'd have been better saying, " Look ! I went on a bender for a weekend, threw up all over the floor, woke up next morning and said Hey ! that looks good !".

My own Art Philosophy is this: I love nature. If I see something in a scene which makes me gasp, I attempt to capture it on canvas.  That's it !.      I prefer Realism as against Abstract, though some Abstract can be excellent. But Artists should restrict their Abstractions to their Paint works and leave it out of their self assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment